Click cover above to order Mississippi Success Magazine 2022

Click cover above to order Mississippi Success Magazine 2022
Click cover above to get your copy today!

Saturday, September 21, 2019

#MississippiSuccess Story: Pauline Rogers, RECH Foundation

 by Cyrus Webb

All of us have the ability to impact the world around us for the better. Just ask Pauline Rogers. It's been great over the years to see the work she is doing through RECH (Reaching and Educating for Community Hope) and through her daily example.

The two of us sat down together after an event at Dunkin Donuts in Pearl, MS to discuss her mission, the progress and the lessons for all of us.

First of all congratulations to you and thank you for the great work that you're doing to make an impact in the lives of others and to be able to stress the importance of a second chance. What has it been like for you, Pauline, to be able to do work that you're passionate about and to see the impact that you're making?
Well I'm a product of a second chance. I'm an ex-offender myself.  I have seen people no different than myself. I made up my mind that I was going to do something about it when I got out, and I'm still at it.

You're a living testimony as to what's possible. You have also not given up on others. How does it feel to know that you are able to share with someone else that they can have a second chance like you. 
Well it is a calling, and I feel that it is my duty to give back. I don't wish prison on anyone, but without having been an offender myself I wouldn't be doing this work. God calls different people for different things. That's what I'm called to do.

I'm so glad that we have platforms like social media to share messages like this. You work here in Mississippi where I live as well, but what is it like for you to share your message with the world using the internet?
It's like having your own personal Clarion Ledger, your own personal magazine. It gives you your own platform to use and to share your message with others.

What I love about your feed, Pauline, is that you're sharing your speaking engagements and the work you are doing but also the accomplishments. You're putting in the work. What does it mean to you to see that type of impact you're having?
Well, the advocacy part is good. That's what the pictures are about with the Governor and working on criminal justice reform. Now when we advocate for criminal justice reform, we by no means exclude the victims. Victims are real. What we try to do with the work is show that with reform we can make the community better by giving people second chances. We want to give people an opportunity to succeed.

So what is your next goal? 
We want to open up a transitional house for men. We have transitional housing for women, so to do something for men exiting prison is the next step. This summer we did camps for children of prisoners. The ultimate goal now is to create more housing and job opportunities for offenders that are coming out.

To find out more about the work that Pauline is doing and to see how you can help visit her website www.rechfoundationms.org .

No comments:

Post a Comment