Click cover above to order Mississippi Success Magazine 2022

Click cover above to order Mississippi Success Magazine 2022
Click cover above to get your copy today!

Saturday, September 21, 2019

Event Planner/Speaker/Entrepreneur Melissa Banks: Living the Dream, Leading By Example

 
 by Cyrus Webb

This debut issue of Mississippi Success is all about 'living the dream', and when I was coming up with the theme I thought about one individual in particular who is doing just that. Melissa Banks was introduced to me this year through a mutual friend, and now we have built a friendship of our own.

As an event planner, motivational speaker and entrepreneur she has been able to share her talents with those around her---and people around the world are taking notice. I was able to share her signature pink dream boxes across the country this year, getting them into the hands of celebrities and influences who marveled at their elegance and professionalism. No surprise there. The boxes mirror the woman who has created them.

In this conversation Melissa shares her humble beginnings, her success and what others can do to join her in living the dream.

Melissa, you've been able to do some amazing things for sure. A lot of people know you for the fantastic work you do as an event planner, but also your work as a motivational speaker and creator. What has it been like for you to look at what you've been able to do and how people have been able to respond to it?
It's still mind-boggling to me. I grew up in Jackson, Mississippi. We didn't dream of owning our own businesses. To look back and see that I started out making flower arrangements for people at Church, and then to see that people would listen to what I have to say and get inspired is exciting and fulfilling.

A lot of times people will look at some people and say, you know what? I could never do what they do. Or they say they're in a place where I don't think I could ever get, and yet that is exactly what you inspire people to do: to dream big, to go for what they want. So my question would be to you what gave you the knowledge and also the push to let you know that you could do it?
I share the story often with people that I worked for a major technology company and there were rumors circulating that they were going to lay off people. So I was very nervous. I was a single parent, raising my two sons, and I was afraid. One morning I heard a voice in my spirit saying I was going to own my own business. It was God speaking to me. I had never even thought of owning a business prior to that moment, but once that dream was placed in me, no matter where life took me, what direction I went in---the ups, the downs, the problems that occurred in my life, the disappointments---I always came back to that dream. I believe I'm just crazy enough to keep believing. Even when things doesn't work out, I find a way to move to the next thing. I tell people, as long as you keep moving, you can make your dream happen. It's when you stop moving that your dream can't happen.

I think a lot of times people are so quick to give up, not only on their dreams but on themselves.What was it like for you to realize that other people saw your own greatness and abilities even before you did? 
This is an interesting question. I'll take you back to when I ran into someone who knew me many years ago when I was in a bad marriage and going through a whole lot of things. I saw her because I did a family member of her's wedding. I looked at her as we stood in the event hall and I said 'Can you believe this is me? I am the person that put all of this together? This is what I do'. And she looked at me, and she says, "Yes, I do believe it.' That was a mind-blowing experience for me. This person only knew me from that down time, that time of disappointment in my life. Yet she show it in me. That was a push to let me know I do have something. If they can see it in me then I have to be able to see it in myself. That's what I tell people today. If you can see it, if you can believe it and you can think it,then you can make it happen. It begins with your thoughts.

Melissa, there are those who will be reading this and will say that yes they see what you have been able to do and they hear what you have to say, but they're scared. They are afraid of what's going to happen when they step out there. How did you get over that fear?
Well, I don't know that I ever got over the fear. I'm afraid now. I'm afraid that I'm going to get a contract and not be able to produce it in a way that makes somebody happy. I'm afraid that I'll get on stage in front of an audience that wants me to say something that inspires them and I don't have the words to say. I'm also afraid because I mentor business owners one on one that started their business and they're listening to me and and doing what I say. I'm afraid that my advice is not going to be good, but you know what I say? I say to other people,, and I say to myself, do it afraid. Do it when you're scared. Do it. When your hands are shaking up, the microphone is in your hand but you got a lot to say, do it anyway. You have to do it afraid to get to where you want to go.

They say a picture's worth a thousand words, right? I was looking at your Facebook page and seeing the pictures of you in your element. What is it like for you to see that confident individual staring back at you and knowing that is you and what it took for you to get there?
Wow. You know, just recently I've started actually posting pictures of myself. I didn't have that confidence to have my face out there at first, so I would post my work because I felt like my work was good work. But as my business started expanding, people needed to get to know me. That's the hardest part of it all: opening yourself up and letting people see you. I looked at a picture I posted recently and I thought, 'Wow! Who is that person in that picture?' That picture, that progress, that person is me. That picture can show to me that no matter what has happened I kept going.

It's the confidence in yourself that matters. It's the ability to keep believing in yourself, not trying to get permission from anybody and not getting anybody to sign on or agree with you. Most people don't agree with you. I hear all the time: You work too hard, you work too many hours, you need to take for time off. God gave me that confidence to keep going no matter what it's looking like. I may have gotten 20 Nos over here, but I'm trying to get to that one Yes. I want more. I keep thinking of different ways to do more, to deal with more and to help somebody along the way.

How important has it been for you to stress with people that you didn't get here just from closing your eyes and saying, 'I want to do it.' How do you let them know they have to open their eyes and get to work?
I tell them that dreams don't happen by magic, and there's no shortcut. It takes lots of work. These people we look at that we admire, they do the work. You got to get beyond the idea and you gotta get to the work. It's the action that will propel you to success. So first you have to make the decision. Then you gotta put it into action, because it's the action that matters. One of the things I recommend to some of the leaders I work with is to make a list. Every single day you look at that list and say, 'I'm going to work towards this.' I also suggest that people do a vision board, putting something in front of them. If you don't see where you want to go you can't get there.

Yes, Melissa Banks is living the dream, but she wants you to be able to do the same. Make the decision today to go for what you want, do the work and watch it pay off!

Stay connected with Melissa at www.dmdeventplanninganddesign.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment