Click cover above to order Mississippi Success Magazine 2022

Click cover above to order Mississippi Success Magazine 2022
Click cover above to get your copy today!

Sunday, September 22, 2019

Vick Allen: The SUPERSTAR that Is Sharing Good Music with the World

by Cyrus Webb

Music has been good to recording artist and producer Vick Allen. The Mississippi native has been able to carve out his own path, making a name for himself over the years in different genres but spreading his love of the craft along the way.

As the summer was coming to an end this year he released his single Superstar, a continuation of his mission to give fans something they can relate to and appreciate. We had our first chat on Conversations LIVE the radio show this year about his career, what drives him and the inspiration for the new music. Enjoy!

When people hear your name Vick, of course they know that music is something that you love to do. What has it been like for you to be able to share your love of music with the rest of us?
It's an unbelievable experience, man. I started at a very young age like so many others. I went on to producing music, mostly soul music for artists like Willie Clayton. That's where my love for soul music came from. I've always been into soul music growing up. Just to be able to continue that in my career is amazing.

And I think the thing that I've noticed about you in your music and we see it in Superstar is that you actually have substance to the music. While some just focus on a good beat you have focused on telling a story. Did you always know from the very beginning you wanted to actually say something that people could be able to listen to and relate to?
Absolutely. I was inspired by people like Bobby Womack. His nickname was the storyteller. That was one of the things he did. He always told a story in his songs that people could relate to, and I just felt like that's missing in today's music. I wanted to be one of those people that continued to take that form of storytelling through music forward.

And I think along the way you've been able to garner fans from all over. Of course people in the south have gotten to know you. What does that feel like for you to know that people who have never met you but who have heard your music, have been able to appreciate you as an artist and become fans of yours?
Again, man, that's unexplainable. That's such a great feeling. I did a concert (recently) in North Carolina, and there were so many people that came up to me afterwards telling me how much they loved the music and they had been fans for such a long time. That just warms my heart to know that the music that I put together is able to touch people's lives in some way or another because like I said, I tried to do music that people can relate to.

Did you always know that you were going to be larger than where you're from? And what I mean by that is, you know, a lot of times people are content with just being able to reach those around them. Have you always known that you had something that you wanted the world to be able to enjoy?
I wanted it to be that way, but I wasn't absolutely sure it would happen. I used to watch the Grammys and all these other award shows and say one of these days that's going to be me, and low and behold I made it to the Grammys with a group I was with. And I've been nominated for a Grammy as a producer as well. It was something I dreamed about as a young kid, and it's happening.

You've made a name for yourself behind the microphone as well as by producing. There are people who will tell you to focus on one thing. You have not only gone against that principle, you have also been able to get noticed in different genres of music. How important has it been for you to not pay attention to that and just do what feels right for you?
That's a good point. People don't like to hear it but Blues, Soul and Gospel have a lot in common. They are both sung and performed very passionately. You're either passionately talking about your love of God or your love of a woman. To be able to cross those lines and work on both sides is a blessing within itself, because it's enabled me to meet some wonderful people and work with so many great artists.

Vick, your musical journey started in your teens. What is it that's kept you focused, because you know like I know there are a lot of people who have even been in the game 10 years ago that are no longer around. What is it that you think has kept you going and kept you motivated?
Two things. I think number one is my love for music. It's something that I'm very, very passionate about. I love music, all types of music, and if you look at my playlist on my phone, it would probably surprise a lot of people: Everything from Rock to Country to Blues, to Soul, R&B. You name it. I love it all. So it was my love of music, number one. And number two, I think it's knowing what, what my purpose is. Everybody can't be filthy rich and flying in private jets and living in the big mansions and so forth. My purpose is to be able to spread some amount of joy and happiness through some Soul music. Create music that people could actually feel.

That brings us back to the new single Superstar. It celebrates those who don't always get the attention they deserve: the hardworking woman. I love the fact from beginning to end, you're talking about the things that women do: whether it's getting the kids ready for the day or going to work and doing what it takes there, being there for the family and giving 100%. How did  it come about?
Just exactly what you said. I was raised by a single parent. I watched my mom struggle every day to take care of me and my younger brother. I noticed it even as a young child the things that mom had to do and go through just to make sure we were okay: working crazy hours and all kinds of different things. Listening to the radio now it's not often that you hear music that celebrates women. If anything, you'll hear more music that talks about them in some type of derogatory way. I just felt like it was time to change that narrative a little bit, come up with the song that celebrated women and the things that they do and the things they have to go through. That's why the song was important to me. I felt it was time for that to be brought out a song.

Get Superstar on Amazon.com or your favorite online retailer. Stay connected with Vick at www.vickallen.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment